Tuesday, May 12, 2009

#40 Utah

Name: Nancy
Ravelry Name: KnitThisPurlThat
Location: Salt Lake City, UT
Occupation: Teacher














I had a wonderful experience with the Traveling Shawl...it was touching yet fun. My husband and I took it up to the Olympic Stadium at the University of Utah - the site of the opening and closing ceremonies of the 2002 Winter Olympics. In the background of the second photo you can see the caldron - it's an amazing sight.








We also took it to the Komen Race For The Cure! I heard there were 18,000 participants this year. We passed out flyers and spoke to many people about the shawl.





















I was interviewed for a newspaper article and the paper had a photographer take pictures while I knit my rows. We used the Cancer Wellness House as the setting...it's a wonderful resource in our community.


Finally, here is a photo from my chemo days with the shawl nestled in front. This is where I contemplated what the shawl experience meant to me, and I thought of the women who helped me along the past four years.

I knit in memory of Robyn who inspired me in countless ways as she continued to teach as long as she possibly could.

I knit in memory of Val who told me her cancer had spread to her brain and spine, yet she offered her phone number to me and told me to call if I needed someone to talk to.

I knit for Gina who spends so much time and energy mentoring women online, guiding them through the hardest parts of the journey. Thank you for everything Towanda!

I knit for the women and men who knit chemo caps and afghans for others, giving them one of the best gifts of all - something made from the hands and heart.

I knit for Brenda and Phyllis - my Towanda sisters - who are still in the fight. I think of you often.

And I knit for the women who will find a lump in their breast today...




I found a pin in the airport gift shop, and this was written on the packaging...it sums up my experience with cancer:



Life's Rider

The ride was long and hard and I lost my dreams along the way.

When I arrived, I found them waiting.

- Alice Seely

2 comments:

Kay said...

Beautiful post, Nancy. Thank you.

Lost City Denise said...

Nancy - Thank you for all the places you took the shawl - for with it you carried our dreams and hopes for a cure.

Namaste